April 6, 2003
The 1st annual South County ARES Poker Run was held April 6, 2003,
between 2pm and 5pm.
The purpose of this event was to allow members to familiarize themselves
with several emergency radio station locations in the southern part
of San Mateo County.
Participants drove to each of the five designated locations, drew
a card from a bag, had their card noted on their entry form. The four
players with the highest hands won prizes.
Everyone had fun and learned more about the locations of the emergency
radio stations at the Hall of Justice (RWC), Menlo Park PD, Menlo
Park Surgical Hospital, Sequoia Hospital (RWC) and Atherton PD.
Many thanks to
- Bill Smith, KE6CHQ, who organized the event
- Jon Mosby, KF6RFQ, who served as station manager at Atherton PD
and event photographer
- Dave Ellison, K6DHE, who served as station manager at Sequoia
- Phil Stripling, KG6ILU, who served as station manager at Menlo
Park Surgical Hospital
- Ron Sfarzo, KG6JQT , who served as station manager at Menlo Park
- Bob Lombaerde, WB6WGM, and Madeline Lombaerde, KD6JTU, who
served as station managers at the Hall of Justice.
on an image for a larger view.
County ARES president, Bob Lombaerde, WB6WGM (left), with Poker
Run event organizer, Bill Smith, KE6CHQ.
place winner was Bert Jutras, KD6BXZ (not pictured).
County ARES president, Bob Lombaerde, WB6WGM, with second place
winner Aida Malenjake, KF6LCS
place winner, Phil Stripling, KG6ILU (left), with SCARES president,
Bob Lombaerde, WB6WGM
place winner, Louise Johnson, KG6IMA, with SCARES president, Bob
to Jon Mosby, KF6RFQ, for the photos!