South County ARES Mission Statement
The principal mission of the South County Amateur Radio Emergency Services (SCARES)
group is to provide emergency communication for the communities of Belmont, Foster City, Menlo
Park/Atherton, Redwood City, San Carlos, and San Mateo when called upon.
In addition, the following items are also considered to be fundamental purposes for which the group has been established:
- SCARES will provide communications services to communities served for special
events such as parades, foot or bicycle races, etc., whenever appropriate
for the purpose of training and enhancement of communications skills of its
- The membership will help establish a self-contained network of amateur
radio stations or other necessary equipment in locations deemed appropriate
for provision of critical information flow in an emergency situation.
- The group will establish and constantly improve efficient procedures for
contacting members under emergency conditions and for assigning them to critical
- Minimum levels of portable equipment kit requirements have been established
and an up to date list of all member kit capabilities will be maintained to
insure that emergency communications preparedness is known and available at
- Formal training programs for all members will be established in order to
insure that expectations of the members are clearly understood and that basic
levels of skills and performance required in emergency conditions of different
types will be available.
- Publicity for SCARES activities will be provided in order to obtain more
public and government awareness of and support for the group and its capabilities.
- Adequate training toward licensing of interested individuals for qualification
as radio station operators at critical locations such as school, hospitals,
government agencies, etc. will be provided by SCARES.
- New members will be sought by the group in order to maintain and expand
the necessary capabilities for it.
- Fund raising activities will be established so that sufficient finances
become available for the further provisioning of SCARES equipment in furthering